Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sinful

Here is my latest culinary experiment. I am ashamed to say that I have never made a cheesecake. I really wanted to try my hand at it. I found this recipe online, and went for it. This particular cheesecake had a lot of ingredients and took a bit more work, but it was well worth it. It turned out marvelous. I took it to a primary meeting, and it was a huge hit! Someone even said it tasted like a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. Once again, not one of my healthiest recipes. For some reason, if I make a treat I don't have to eat it, I am just satisfied to try the recipe and send the end results away, but I do feel the need to taste it first to see if it is good enough to send away. Sort of a double edged sword. I will post some healthier recipes soon.
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup butter, melted
50 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
3 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered English toffee
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered toffee, chopped

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine wafer crumbs, powdered sugar and cocoa with the melted margarine. Mix well. Press onto the bottom and half-way up the side of 10 inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool.
Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels together with the chocolate chips and evaporated milk stir until smooth and pour into crust.

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and flour; beat until smooth. Add eggs, then yolks, one at a time. Blend in heavy cream and vanilla. Add 3 cut up candy bars to mixture. Pour over caramel and toffee layers. Wrap outside of pan with foil.
Set in a large pan that has been filled with 1 inch of hot water. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes; reduce oven to 250 degrees and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let sit for 1 hour. Remove from water. Chill overnight in the refrigerator. Top with 2 more Heath Bar candy bars that have been chopped. Drizzle with remaining chocolate and caramel.

2 comments:

Amber said...

That does look heavenly--what self control you have!

DawnTreader said...

If eating nine servings of that in a sitting is wrong, I don't wanna be right.