
I love this quote I got from a friends blog. Carter and I often talk about how much harder it is to teach kids to work these days. We especially worry about our boys, as they will someday be providers for their families. It seems it is harder to teach them to work because most of us do not live on farms, or large pieces of land, we do not have animals and large crops to cultivate. I am not saying it is impossible to teach them how to work, just more difficult. Sometimes we have to be creative. Carter is especially good at having our kids work along side him. This is where, I believe, the most valuable teaching moments occur. Today I caught one such moment. Carter seized the opportunity to turn the small task of mowing our lawn over to Jack. The task didn't seem so small, as his little body struggled to push the loud monster over two weeks worth of jungle-like grass, he even broke a sweat. Don't get me wrong, Jack has several daily jobs. Some before school, including practicing the piano, and some after school. We are trying really hard to teach our kids to be independent, motivated, and reliable. Not an easy task! It was thoroughly rewarding to see the look on Jack's face as he surveyed his freshly cut masterpiece. He was very pleased, and so were his parents. Hopefully this good boy will grow into a great man!
5 comments:
I agree, hard work is a lesson that so many kids just don't learn in this age of ease and entertainment. But it is so important. A memory I have of learning how to work is my mom teaching me to scour the sink and use lots of "elbow grease." You better believe my kids will learn to scour the sink too!
I love the layout of your blog. I cannot figure out how to put pictures where my blog goes.
For awhile I was trying to figure out who Jack was--an adopted child perhaps? Then I figured out that it's Jackson...where have I been that I didn't know you called him that? So sad.
Also, where did your funny dance video go? I got on to show my dad and it had disappeared. It was classic, I mourned its short life.
Lastly, I did have a problem after all with that background. Wait awhile to try it until all the glitches get worked out. For now my blog is kinda drab.
That makes me miss that hard working boy. You definately know how to teach your kids to work. I love to watch and learn from your example. You are an amazing person. I love you!
Grandma Anne says...
Jackson, I'll bet that hard work created some amazing muscles. Mowing up hill is not easy, is it? Now you know how to mow lawns when you come for vacation...I think I'll let you do mine!:) Way to go, you hard working boy!
Post a Comment