
Okay, so we are fortunate to live very near on the the largest peach orchards in the country. It belongs to the church, which means Carter spent many a early morning picking peaches with our ward members. He would make it a pint to take along the kids and teach them how to pick(aka work). Well after the picking, of course comes the canning at the cannery. When the cannery fills its welfare assignment then they offer the rest of the peaches to the public for $.45 a pound.

So being a sucker for a good deal I promply purchased 75 pounds to can! These peaches were awesome, the size of softballs and so sweet. I did 45 bottles of peaches and 10 pints of peach raspberry jam. Deeelish! Thanks mom for passing on this valuable skill and sorry mom, I know I did not pack the jars tight enough. It really does feel good to spend a day being productive and homemakerish (yes that is a word)!
2 comments:
Oh, I am so jealous! (of the finished product, not the work--let's be clear on that). Peaches have got to be my favorite fruit. They are autumn to me. If only I could be so homemakeryish. Or whatever that word is.
I love looking at the stuff I just canned on the counter. It looks so pretty in the bottles. Erika and I used to get peaches from Cedar City, but in recent years the mother-in-law hasn't been passing them out. I've really miss having them on hand--delish!
Post a Comment