Friday, December 5, 2008
A Success
Instead of neighbor gifts this year we did something different. We taped an invite to every neighbors door asking them to use the money they would spend on neighbor gifts and donate it to a good cause. We asked for canned food, gift cards and new toys. We then invited everyone to a large park in the neighborhood where we provided the hot chocolate, and they each brought an appetizer or a treat and their donations and visited with each other. It was a huge success. Why not? Do we really need 30 plates of delicious treats staring us down each morning as we do the dishes? Challenging us to take just one bite and skip breakfast. I don't. I don't want to think up something more creative than last year with a rhyming poem that ends up sounding ridiculous. I was determined to take my $2.00 per family and help someone who really needs it. Everyone, it seems, is struggling around here. Our neighborhood is full of contractors, Realtors, mortgage guys etc, all feeling the effects of a slowed economy. We had a great turn out and a very generous bunch at that. The best part of the evening was spending a couple hours getting to know our friends and neighbors better. I know we are not the first neighborhood to put something like this together, but I think it was a great way to feel the true spirit of the Season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is a great idea. I am glad it went well. Way to start the season out right.
Is it really hot chocolate weather there? ;) Great job. I think it helps us slow down and remember the true meaning and enjoy family more.
It was such a wonderful idea and you are definitely the most amazing woman to host it! Thank you for including us!!
Post a Comment