Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Easters





We had a wonderful Easter weekend. We always do our Easter baskets on Saturday morning. The Easter Bunny left a note and lots of clues leading to the kids baskets. That Easter Bunny is a real card. The clues said things like "You will find your next clue where aunt Ashley takes hours and hours to get ready!" Meaning the guest bathroom of course. Needless to say the older kids made very short work of it and they found their baskets out in the car in no time. They always get some candy and a couple of things for church such as, ties, tie tacks, CTR rings, scripture markers,etc. We try to keep Easter conservative and focused on the Savior.



Later that day we got to hang out with some of our favorite people in the world. Kimball, Michelle,Brody and Grandma and Grandpa Cluff all came to see us and we enjoyed the warm, sunny day together. Later in the evening we got to go to Tuachan to see a tribute to the Mormon pioneers. It was such a fun day! On Sunday we were invited to a wonderful lunch at our friend's house.



Our friends have become like our family here. We miss our families, so it is wonderful to have so many great friends to share our traditions with. It really adds to our life! I was responsible for a main dish and a dessert. I took my favorite shredded honey ham recipe, which I learned from one of my best friends, Jodi. I like to use this recipe for showers, blessings, baptisms, or any big get together. For dessert sugar cookies shaped like carrots and stacked in a basket full of Easter grass. This sugar cookie recipe is the best I have ever found. The cookies always turn out soft and you do not have to refrigerate the dough. We really enjoyed our Easter Weekend and are looking so forward to Conference weekend!



The Easter Recipes

Jodi's Shredded Ham Recipe
7-8 pound bone in ham (shank or butt)
Cover with water in stock pot. Bring water and ham to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 hours. Remove from water and shred meat, removing fat.
Option: Cook ham on low overnight in Crock-pot.
7-10 oz yellow mustard
1 lb brown sugar (or a little more if you like it really sweet)

Mix together and pour over ham. Leave in the fridge overnight. Cook for 2 hours at 300*. Serve on rolls. I know a lot of people do not like mustard, but the end result has no mustard flavor.


Sugar Cookies
2 cups sugar
6 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon soda
1 package (4 cubes) butter
4 eggs
4 tablespoons cream
2 teaspoons cream of tartar


Roll out ¼“ thick. Dough doesn’t need to be refrigerated before rolling. Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes.

9 comments:

jamie said...

Your family looks darling, but where are you? Will you please send some of those cookies my way?

jamie said...

Thanks for adding the BEAUTIFUL picture of yourself! You all look so cute and most of all warm!

Katrine said...

I'm going to have to try both those recipes. Suddenly I really want some sugar cookies!

Woods said...

Hours and hours?? Ok, so it takes me a while. Those sugar cookies sure look amazing.

Anne Bowen said...

What a beautiful family!! I am so glad we got to see what Easter was like. Yes.....I can see just how conservative you are on Easter--honey glazed ham, dozens of carrot shaped cookies, perfectly iced, a neighborhood easter egg hunt, big beautiful baskets and darling Easter outfits--I am so glad you held yourself back......Just kidding it's the Bowen/ Richards disease, so who am I to mock?

michellecluff said...

we had so much fun seeing you guys. We miss ya!

Amber said...

Darling Easter pictures and those cookies really do melt in your mouth. That is my fav. recipe now too.

*ALLYSSA* said...

Cute picture of your family! Looks like you guys had a nice Easter. I'm crazy about sugar cookies and try to make them whenever I can.

Nelson & Valerie Cluff said...

seriously Lori, it is time to move on...Easter is over! :)