I have been a terrible blogger. I have had my family in town, I went out of town to visit my family, there has been sickness, baseball games, science fair projects, etc. etc. No excuse, I know. I will try to improve.
While I was in northern Utah visiting my family, I was unexpectedly roped into an evil competition. No sugar for the rest of the year! What?! You heard it folks, I am sugar free for the rest of 2008. Can I do it? Hmmmm, I don't know anyone who likes to bake sweets more than I do. I am considering opening a catering business, maybe a small bistro. Eating no sugar will not help this endeavor, as taste testing will be out. On the other hand I am competitive. I like to win. I want to be healthier and slimmer. So I signed on. Good luck to me.
In honor of a healthier lifestyle, I am going to leave you with one of my favorite healthy recipes of all time. This is so good for you and it tastes amazing. I make up a big batch of this on Monday morning and eat it for lunch the whole week. I never get tired of these. Try them out and let me know if you like them.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
INGREDIENTS
• 16 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
• Chicken, ground turkey, beef, or pork.
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
• Asian chile pepper sauce (optional)
• 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
• 1 bunch green onions, chopped
• 2 teaspoons Asian (dark) sesame oil
DIRECTIONS
1. Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
2. In a medium skillet over high heat, brown the chicken in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium, if necessary. Drain, and set aside to cool. Cook the onion in the same pan, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions, and stir. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
3. Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter, and pile meat mixture in the center. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito, and enjoy!
9 comments:
Glad to see you back, Lori. Way to go on the no-sugar venture. You're a better woman than me.
I'm trying to be sugar free for 6 weeks and I'm thinking it will be a struggle--Good Luck!
You are crazy, it's all I can do to watch what I eat but to give up sugar altogether, I know I would fail at having NO sugar. Good Luck! You can always send your yummy treats to me, I think I could take care of them for you.
Hey, I make these asian wraps too, I love them. :) they are so delicious. :) I am glad you are back to the blogging world, I am so tired of "The Easters" :)
Good luck with the sugar thing. I've half heartedly tried it before. I will be trying the asian wraps because I have tried finding a good recipe for these. Thanks!
I just made Creme Brule for you. Call us when your off the wagon.
Oh,oh, did you realize you were giving up creme brulee when you made this committment? And did we really say we were going off sugar until the end of the year? Yikes! The promises we make in the heat of the moment or after over indulging in one long dessert orgy (aka Matt Lind's homecoming dessert bar)are the promises we always regret the next day! I think we'll be sorry, but as for now....I'm still sugarless!
I made the lettuce wraps this weekend. They were fabulous! I had planned on eating them for lunch today but John asked if he could have the leftovers for his lunch. Bummer! I guess I'll have to make more and keep the leftover's hidden for myself!
This is JUST what I need since I am on your stupid no sugar bandwagon--a yummy recipe to indulge in. I mainly hate feeling deprived, so if I can indulge, even in a non-sugar delight, I'll do better. Can't wait to try these.
Post a Comment