Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Converstation With A Three Year Old

Cooper and I were driving home from church together.

Cooper: Mom, John doesn't come to church anymore.

Mom: That is because he is not a Mormon. Everybody has a choice whether or not they want to belong to our Church or not.

Cooper: (thinks for a minute) Mom, I didn't want to be a Mormon.

Mom: Why not Cooper?

Cooper: (thinks for another minute) Mom, do you like church?

Mom: Yes Cooper I love church.

Cooper: (without hesitation) I don't. I hate church. (pause.....) I hate church bad.

Mom: (surprised) Why?

Cooper: (a new Sunbeam) Primary is waaaaaay to long!

Mom: Yes Cooper it is.

Mom: Cooper, Do you love Heavenly Father?

Cooper: Yes mom and I love his son too. (I am teaching him the 1st article of faith)

Mom: When we love Heavenly Father and Jesus we show them by being obedient. They have asked us to go to church to learn about them and their teachings. Church is where they want us to be each Sunday. etc. etc.

Cooper: (quiet for a long time) Mom, I guess I will be a Mormon now.

I thought this conversation would come, just a few years down the road. Cooper is a fun little boy. He is always thinking and wondering. He makes me look at the world with different eyes. I love being home with him while the other kids are at school. Such a priceless time.

5 comments:

jamie said...

That is so cute! Trae has been saying some of those same things, it's amazing what these kids say and do.

Woods said...

That is the cutest thing I've ever read. I can just see his sweet little face asking all of those questions. He's a little smartie!

michellecluff said...

What a sweet kid. You're such a good mom!

Cathie said...

Wow Lori, reminds me of a conversation I have had before.

Cathie: Lori, I didn't want to be a Mormon.

Lori: Why not Cathie?

Cathie: Do you like church?

Lori: Silence

Cathie: (without hesitation) I don't. I hate church. I hate church bad.

Lori: (not surprised) I know.

Cathie: Church is waaaaaay too long!

Lori: Yes Cathie it is.

I'm glad that you came up with better answers for Cooper. What a good mom! I'm going to give myself the Lori Cluff "When we love Heavenly Father and Jesus we show them by being obedient" pep talk. That should get me at least half way through Sunday school! Do you have anything to get me through Webelos?

Amber said...

Very cute cooper!