Thursday, February 18, 2010

She's Here!

Our baby girl was born five weeks early on Tuesday, February 16th, at 3:47 pm. I started in labor at about 10:00, Monday night and by 2:00 in the morning I was pretty uncomfortable. We decided to go into labor and delivery to see what was going on. They tried really hard to stop my labor for the next several hours. Meanwhile the contractions were growing in intensity! By 9:30 am it was clear our little one was coming whether we liked it or not. They decided to admit me and get things going. Because I was full of "stop your labor" drugs it was a much slower process than usual. We had a little scare with the epidural, but came through it okay.

Our fifth baby was born at 3:57 pm weighing in at a surprising 6 lbs 1 oz and 18.5 inches long. She came into the world screaming. We were totally amazed by her size and more especially by how healthy she was. She passed all her tests with flying colors and is as healthy as can be. We are so grateful she is here and healthy. Heavenly Father continues to watch over and bless our family with tender mercies we see every day. As I looked into my new baby's eyes I realized that this is my purpose on the earth. To be a mom and to guide these little ones. What a privilege is is to have five human beings that call me mom.

We are naming our little girl Gwen Mathews Richards. She is named after my grandma, Gwen Mathews Richards, who will be turning 100 this year. My grandma is one of the reasons I am who I am and she is a very important part of my life. This is the best way I could think of to honor her. I got to call and talk to her on the phone after Gwen was born and we had a sweet visit. She is amazing, 100 years old and asking me for delivery details and asking about each of my children. She is bright and witty and an example of faith and optimism. I just adore her. So welcome to the world baby Gwen, boy do you have some wonderful shoes to fill.

I will post pictures soon!

10 comments:

Polliwog said...

So exciting! I'm so glad she is here and healthy. Hope you are feeling okay too.

Unknown said...

Hooray!!! I am DYING to see pictures of her! Hope you are feeling ok...I was actually thinking about you last night wondering how your pregnancy was going :)

Michelle Thompson said...

Congratulations Lori! We are so happy for you and I think Tianna is almost as excited as Courtney! We are so glad you are both healthy and doing well!

Katrine said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

EMILY said...

You know I am still freaking out! I am so bugged that I'm so far away! I keep checking FB and your blog to see more pics or hear more details. I'm trying really hard not to call you or drive all the way down there. It's all because of love though. I'm really not a stalker. I am just so incredibly excited and happy for you and your family. I adore you all and can't wait to meet Lil' G. Give her a kiss for me. And I'm so glad everything went well. Love ya.

PS---The nursery looks awesome! Love it! You've out done yourself yet again. That's my girl! Tell everyone HI!!!!

Reynolds Family said...

Can't wait to see more pics! So glad she is healthy!

Carrick family said...

She is so BEATIFUL!!!! Can't believe she weighs 6 lbs being born 5 weeks early!! Glad she is very healthy! I totally love her bedroom! So CUTE!!!

Love, SHellee

New Lewis Happenings said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for all of you! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Congrats! So glad you are both doing well! Can't wait to meet her!

*ALLYSSA* said...

Congratulations on your new arrival! She looks adorable. :)