Sunday, October 21, 2007

Passion

No, this post is not about Carter and I. My nine year old has it. I have never seen anything like it. A passion for the game of football. Jackson just cannot get enough. He plays it, he watches it, he listens to it, he collects football cards, he wants football jerseys and hats, and he never quits talking about it. It boggles my mind. How can a nine year old kid know so many stats? Carter loves sports too, but he is not one of those guys that absolutely cannot miss a particular game, or has a game on all the time. We rarely watch TV at our house, so it is not like Jackson has grown up over exposed to football. It seems as though he was born with the passion. Shortly after Jackson was born he took and insane liking to any kind of ball. Cute, right? Sort of. Until you hear "Mom, what if I don't make it to the NFL?" everyday. My response? "Jackson, we will talk about it after your mission. You might want to think of a back-up plan."















Jackson is good at sports. When we put him in soccer at age three, we were worried. He sat in the center of their field and stared blankly down the field, until he accidentally scored a goal and the crowd went wild. It was all downhill from there. He must have liked the attention. He loves to golf and has a great drive. He shoots hoops endlessly, he loves to skateboard, he is good at soccer, but doesn't really like it. He loves baseball, though it is not as action-packed as he likes. But football, my bony, little Jackson LOVES football. He just gets it, he knows how it works, on his team this year he called plays, explained to his team the fundamentals, and knew when the other team was going to "blitz" (whatever that means). He is torqued at me because a would not let him play tackle football this year. Besides the fact that it cost two hundred dollars and they practiced EVERY DAY after school, and had more that one game a week, he is skinny, fast, but really skinny. Do I want a nine year old with a knee of back injury, I think not. I know I sound like one of those over protective moms, but seriously, do we have to start all this already. Secretly I take pleasure in Jackson's success on the football field, I picture myself dressed in his high school colors, Carter next to me with Jackson's number painted on his bare, not so youthful chest, cheering, as Jackson leads his high school team to victory. Would I be disappointed if this did not happen, absolutely not. Jackson likes the piano, loves to read, and is a great student. Oh, and now he has a back up plan, he and Courtney are opening a dental office together (painted the Colts colors). He will find success, where ever he goes, if I can channel his football passion into whatever he does. Just think, I have two more just like him. Rah! Rah!

4 comments:

Flake Family said...

We love Jackson... He is such a stud! When we lived with you, that was Matt's favorite thing to come home to... not me, but playing ball with Jacks! He is a cutie!

Woods said...

Oh that makes me miss you guys so much. Jackson always wants to be moving and playing football. I love it!! He is so fun to watch. I can't wait until he plays for the Colts and I can come to Indiannapolis to watch him. I love you Jack so so much. Let's play football again when you come this weekend. Can't wait!! Oh G loves you so much too!

Polliwog said...

Nice visual of Carter shirtless. I was laughing my head off. I sympathize with your worries. At least with no boys I won't have to concern myself with those things for quite some time (if ever). :)

Amber said...

Sounds like someone I know around here! We did flag football until 6th grade which I was so glad about. See if you can hold him off until then. No need to risk tearing an ACL at this young age. I thought Jordan wouldn't like the everyday practices and bruises, but oops--he loves it. Shocking, so does Todd. They BOTH go to practice etc. everyday. Boys and their sports....I will be watching for Jackson in the NFL. You never know, he could bulk right up! (Sorry I'm such a slothful blogger friend. That pesky preschool thing keeps me busy and tired!)