Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Homemade Marshmallows

This would be a fun activity to do with bored kids this summer. We will be having a kids cooking class at our house. These are way better than the ones you buy and delicious in hot chocolate. I think they would make a fun neighbor Christmas gift packaged with some homemade hot chocolate mix. Cheap and cute, my favorite. Next time we make these we will try chocolate or strawberry or toasted coconut....the possibilities are endless.


Martha Stewart's Homemade Marshmallows

Ingredients
2 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions
Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let stand 30 minutes.
Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat, and stir until sugar has dissolved. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
Clip on a candy thermometer; raise heat to high. Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244 degrees.(firm-ball stage). Immediately remove pan from heat.
With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla; beat to incorporate.
Generously dust an 8-by-12-inch glass baking pan with confectioners’ sugar. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan. Dust top with confectioners’ sugar; wet your hands, and pat it to smooth. Dust with confectioners’ sugar; let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out. Turn out onto a board; cut marshmallows with a dry hot knife into 1 1/2-inch squares, and dust with more confectioners' sugar.





2 comments:

Woods said...

I didn't even know it was possible to make marshmallows! They look so good! I love the post about the boys, and I LOVE that picture of Coop in his swim suit. That's a boy for ya! Give your kids a kiss for me. I forgot to ask you how Court is. I will call you soon, I hope she is feeling ok! Love you! Oh, I think you should post those cute things you just emailed me. SO CUTE!!!Thanks for all your ideas.

Hardy Family said...

I found your blog through Megan L.
I think i need to move over by you.
You are an awesome cook. Those mallows are good. I made choc. mallow eggs for Easter with the flour trick.
I need to know where you get packaging and your tricks on how you freeze your cinnamon rolls. My insides always run out.
You are amazing!