Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh What Do You Do In The Summer Time?


Here's what we are doing.

MONDAY-Project day. We do some sort of craft, experiment,sew, or cook. Last year I did a cooking class for some neighborhood kids. We have pulled homemade taffy, and made suckers. We have made boats to float down the river, aprons from dishtowels, made giant pick-up sticks and learned how to make balloon animals etc. etc.

TUESDAY-Library Day. On this day we go to the public library, our school also opens their library on this day. Each of my kids have to read at least one book a week during the summer.

WEDNESDAY-Lesson Day. We have piano lessons on this day. We need to add something to jazz this day up.

THURSDAY- Swim day. We go to the new Rec. Center or one of our neighbors pools. Sometimes we just sit in the back yard and plastic pool it.

FRIDAY-Field trip day. On this day we choose somewhere to go. There are great hikes here in St. George. We go to a museum or a bookstore. We try to go somewhere we have not been before.

EVERYDAY- The kids have several daily chores that have to be done and one special chore (like dust a blind, or organize a cupboard).

I made up an "I'm Bored" list that the kids can look at for ideas of things to do. This helps with the constant whining and complaining about "nothing to do". I also have a friend who fills a bottom drawer in the kitchen with snacks for each kid each day. They are allowed to eat these anytime they want, but when they are gone, they are gone. I thought it was a good idea.

Now we want to hear your summertime ideas. Leave us a comment!

6 comments:

New Lewis Happenings said...

Lori~Seriously, girl...YOU ROCK!!
I feel like such a loser when I read all the cool and creative stuff you do!! I've said it before and I'll probably say it a million more times...
When I grow up I want to be just like you!!
By the way...will you guys be home on July 19th?? We will be in St. George and would love to see you!!!

michellecluff said...

HA! I'm not the only one in the world that wants to be like you when I grow up! Seriously, leave it to you to be so super organized in the summertime! I have so much to learn from you...
I wish I had some cool ideas for you...but...I don't! Sorry! Same thing, different day!

Dolphinsbarn said...

When I die I want to come back as a Cluff. Summertime sounds great around there.

Dolphinsbarn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
three pinkies said...

Lori,
I got your comment but couldn't reply. Shelley Jacklin showed me your blog and I thought I would hurry and comment. Your family is so cute and so is your blog!

Lori Cluff said...

Reading about your summer plans makes me miss the days when I had kids at home. Summertime with a family at home is wonderful (most of the time!) and I'm so glad you are making every minute count. When you were little, I loved trading off with our neighbor Kathy Workman. She teach cooking or crafts one morning of the week and I would do it another morning. We planned together and decided in advance what we wanted to teach. It was so much fun, and adding in the neighbor kids made it especially fun for everyone! I'll never forget those happy times!