Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This To Shall Pass

Our sweet little Courtney called me from school on Thursday morning saying her side hurt and she wanted to come home. She never does this. Strangely, she loves school. So Carter picked her up and brought her home where she lay in fetal position for the remainder of the day. Friday she Woke up feeling fine and went to school. Friday night she complained about her stomach and had to use the bathroom every two minutes. I'm beginning to think that she has a urinary tract infection. On Saturday, Carter takes me out to lunch for Mother's Day and we get a call from home. Courtney is in extreme pain on her right side and wants a heating pad and medicine. I begin to panic. She never calls when we are out, and she rarely complains when she is sick. I'm beginning to think it is her appendix. Two minutes later Jackson calls, "Courtney is throwing up!" I am really scared now. We speed home, I offer a silent, pleading prayer. This is one of those profound moments when you realize how much you love your children. Court is the lifeblood of our home, and I could not bear to think something could happen to her. We immediately call a wonderful family friend who is a PA, he rushes up to our house and tells us she is a text book appendix case. Great! Off the the ER we go. After SIX hours of testing, ultrasounds, one IV bag, 4 tubes of blood, her white blood count is normal, she has blood in her urine along with bacteria. The Ultrasound technician sees a KIDNEY STONE, what!? You heard it right, my twelve year old has a kidney stone. Bless her heart she is going to have to pass it on her own. We are waiting....

9 comments:

jamie said...

I hope you feel better soon. Mike had that and it was extremely painful. Take care.

michellecluff said...

Oh no! Tell Court I hope she feels better soon. Not fun!

Unknown said...

Courtney!!! We love you and hope you are feeling better!! My kids have been praying for you!! We miss and love all of you!! Come home and visit!! Lori, sorry that you had such a scary experience, I can't imagine going through that as a mother. We're glad Court's okay!!! We love and miss you all!

Woods said...

How come something like that has to happen to the sweetest girl I know? It's so not fair. We will be saying our prayers for you Court! We love you guys!!!

Katrine said...

Poor Courtney! I hope this passes quickly. It's not fun! Cameron has been having severe back pain with blood in his urine (now that's another thing to make a mom panic) for about 3 years now. We just got a diagnosis from a nephrologist (kidney specialist) that he has kidney stones. Luckily, for Cameron, he only has to increase his water intake about 50 ounces a day and that should decrease his chances of kidney stones. But we still have follow up visits with the Dr.

Polliwog said...

Poor kid! And poor parents. That is so scary, I hate when kids are sick--especially that kind of thing.

Keep us posted.

Rarely David usually Lisa said...

Courtney is in our prayers. We hope she is better.

Lori, your mom told me how darling you have your rooms decorated. I would love to see pics of your boys' room that has the flag over the window. I have a July boy whose room I want to do an Americana theme. I love your ideas.

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Bless her heart. Best of luck-we'll keep her in our prayers. I hope she is feeling a lot better now!

Reynolds Family said...

Oh, how I feel her pain, literally! Poor Courtney. Those really are no fun especially when you are so young!