Friday, January 4, 2008

My Dilema

So here is the reason I have not posted for a while, maybe you can help me out. Lately I have heard a lot of stories (from very reliable sources) about people stealing identities from blogs, taking heads off pictures in blogs and using them on pornography sites, and sexual predators coming after children they see on blogs. I love having an open blog because I have met new friends and rediscovered old ones. I love to surf through blogland too! I like posting about my family and I love to post pictures of them. I would never forgive myself if I ever brought harm to any of them, it is just not worth it. I know I can lock my blog, but could someone stil get into it if they really wanted to? I am not sure I have much to say if I don't blog about my family and home life. I am tempted to stop blogging and take my blog off the Internet. I LOVE blogging. It has been my scrapbook, my journal, my connection to family and friends and a really fun new hobby. What do you all think? I would love your opinions. Especially people who know about Internet security. What is a girl to do?

10 comments:

New Lewis Happenings said...

Hey Lori,
I had the same questions, but decided that by going private I could at least stop a few "crazies" from lurking. The flip side is that I never would have found you guys if I hadn't have Googled you and found your blog that way. It's a tricky choice, but for me, private was the only way to go. Please don't stop blogging!! Good luck on you decision!
~Tina

Katrine said...

I have those concerns also. I have tried to keep our last name, exactly where we live, and any other information such as my children's schools off of the blog. You can also check the stats on your blog to see where people are coming from to see your blog. At this point I feel the good outweighs the bad by having my blog.

Nelson & Valerie Cluff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nelson & Valerie Cluff said...

Howdy! Well, your delimma brought up some bad memories for me with my "My Space" account last year. You may know by now, I made my blog invite only. The truth of it is that the world is full of wierdos. There could be one next door more dangerous than one on the internet. They can steel your identity easier by taking your garbage than by your blog. Don't let the world deprive you of what you enjoy. Just take a different route, different precautions. And do what makes you happy! (And what makes those who get to enjoy your posts happy!) :)

Polliwog said...

You're scaring me. Yipes. But I like Valerie's comment. Hmmm...definitely stuff to think about. What stories have you heard? Are they first-hand or "a friend's aunt's cousin". I'd think there'd be some reporting on it if it was documented, but what do I know? Oh, wait, I don't even read the paper or watch the news, so I guess I could have missed it. :)

m said...

Okay, so I first just want to explain who I(we)am and how I got to your site. I am Liz's sister-in-law (Bri is my brother). I was on their site and was just curious to look at the other sites listed on theirs and got to yours. I may not be making any sense, so just ask Liz if you don't follow. Anyhow, my husband knows a few things about the matter, so I thought I would have him pass along his knowledge. -Ju

Your site is not directly Google-able, but you do have some relatives and friends who are, and they have reference to your family's blog (Bri and Liz are not one of them, but they have the same issue with one of their in-laws!). So your anonymity on the internet only goes so far. There is one main thing I would caution you against. From your blog, due to pictures and information you have included in your profile, I know the ages and grades of your children, the profession of your husband, your anniversary date, some of your family members birthdates. I know that your husband will be gone long enough at times from the house that you and the children will be alone and that you may leave the house during the evening or day time with them in tow. I know some of the interests of your children, and family in general. These are all bits and pieces of information you are sharing with the Internet at large. A hacker can guess passwords you may create with anything involving personal dates or initials of your children or you and your husband, and those with less than honest motivation have access to pictures of your children, pictures of your neighborhood (which can be used to locate your residence, even if your address is never shown,not to mention looking you up on sites like dexknows.com), pictures even of you and your husband that can be used and abused.

Now if you have a way of password protecting your blog, so others have to get in through a login that you can share with only those you want to visit, that would be a good security/privacy measure for you. That way, even if some of your friends/family link to your blog and allow their blogs to be searchable/crawlable by search engines, you still are in control of the amount of access "outsiders" have.

Another measure might be asking others not to link to your blog directly, especially if they are able to be found with a search engine. Checking regularly whether your site can be found through others sites by trying to look up your names and/or site through a search engine is always a good idea as well.

This is information that you don't want available to creeps on the internet, as well as those who might be in your town or neighborhood, because it can be used to lure children, provide insecurity to your computer, home, and identity in general.

Don't quit blogging. Just make it more secure for you to do so without risking valuable personal information getting into the wrong hands. I hope this helps. - Max

Cluff Family said...

Thank you Max, I think your information is so valuable and I appreiciate you sharing it with us.

Angela said...

Hi Lori-
I came across your blog through "Tip Junkie", and I love it. I do not have you as a link on my own blog because we have never actually met, but I love your cute ideas and inspiration; and like to visit your blog for my own sake. I have had the same worries and concerns, so I almost didn't start a blog in August. But my sis-in-laws talked me into it, and now I'm totally addicted. It's my new hobby as well! I don't want to stop either, but I don't want to go private either because I want to share ideas with others too! I kind of wish I hadn't put my last name on my blog. I didn't put my kids' names on for a long time, then I gave in. But my girlfriend has only first names on her family blog, so I thought that was a great idea. (Of course that was after I already set up my blog.) I am glad you asked this question. I appreciate all the comments- especally Max. Thanks!

Amber said...

I'm totally freaked out now. I read that whole comment from max and didn't understand a word of it! I googled your name and got right to your sight through your sis in laws. Then I did the same thing for me. Yikes that was way too easy. I'm going to have to talk to Matt and see what to do. I do miss your blogs so we will have to figure out how to secure them so we can continue. Call me!!!

Kami said...

Lori,
I am glad you blog and that you finally invited me to view it! I sent a christmas card to you and it was sent back! I had no idea that you had moved. It's great to see how the kids are growing. I really admire how put together you seem to be. As for my opinion, I don't blog, but I can't say that those fears of the internet would deter me, my only deterrent now is the time. How do you ever find time? That is what I am always wondering while I happily peruse all my friends' blogs and I wonder if I'll ever do it someday, so maybe I DO have the time?
Take care,
Kami