Tuesday, November 1, 2011

This is Halloween

This year we tried out annual "doughnut day" on the Saturday before Halloween. It was a success and we loved visiting with all of our friends. Here is how it all went:



Starting at 1:00 in the afternoon I made eight double batches of doughnut dough and let them rise once, punched them down and let them rise again. It was very warm here that weekend, and so the dough went a little crazy. It was ready much faster than I had anticipated. I was working fast!

We then rolled and cut the doughnuts out. Carter made me some large boards that still fit through our doors, that we use to let the doughnuts raise.



We used the large boards and 16 cookie sheets to fit all of the doughnuts on. The doughnust were spread all over the house to raise.


All of the kids help in the process. They love it.


We moved to the backyard this year and set up our frying station. Carter fries 12 doughnuts at a time and I am the froster. I used five-4lb bags of powdered sugar this year.







Here's Coop somewhere in the yard enjoying his billionth doughnut of the evening. I have a hard time portion controlling with so many people around!




I may or may not have had one too.



We set a record of 425 doughnuts this year. It was great fun, but I am glad it only happens once a year!





For Halloween this year Bowen and Jackson both dressed like Biggest Loser contestants.


Cooper always wants a funny costume, so he dressed as a homeless man. He wrote his own sign, which I thought was funny. He was, however, asked to do lots of work for the neighbors, which he did not like.


Our little Gwennie was a peacock. OH boy was she a cute one too! She may look a tad like a Vegas showgirl, but she stole the show wherever she went his year. She loved every minute of it too, she danced around in her costume, and asked several times a day for her "peacop."


Look at that cute little bum!



It is so fun to have a little girl to dress up again since Courtney is "too old" to wear a costume.



Gwen totally "got" the trick-or-treating thing this year. She love running to the door and yelling "treat"!! The boys were darling and patient with their little sister even though she totally slowed them down.

Gwen made a haul at the first few houses, so we put her to bed and the boys finished out the night with their friends.


We had a wonderful holiday, and hope you did too! Happy Halloween from the Cluff family.

3 comments:

Valerie Cluff said...

Lori, Gwen's costume was sooo cute. :) Did you make that? She is getting so big! I can't believe it!

erika said...

I have only been lucky enough to partake of your doughnut extravaganza one time but I know that I'm already hooked. Also, I didn't know you very well (or at all) at the time, so I just politely took one and went on my merry way ... that was a big mistake. Next time, I am planting myself in front of the frying station. I have no shame.

Hoping I see you MULTIPLE times in 2012 :)

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Aww I just love your cute family. Can we be like you someday? I sure hope so! You've always been my role model Lori. Someday I need to sample your doughnuts! Maybe one of these time we drive to Utah we should meet up with you!