Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Options Are Endless

I got this new cookbook.
I have read it from cover to cover, like a delicious novel. I love it. One of the first recipes I tried was the "Good For Almost Everything Pie Dough". It was seriously amazing! I am generally not a huge fan of pie crust. I think it is bland and usually to thick. This recipe makes a flaky and flavorful dough. It was really easy to work with too. I used it for a Chicken Pot Pie one night and for a delicious Quiche another night. Here are the recipes. Go on give it a try! Your husband will love you for it!

For a 9 Inch Double Crust (half it for a single crust)
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup very cold or frozen vegetable shortening (cut in pieces)
1/2 cup ice water

Put flour, sugar and salt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade;pulse just to combine. Drop in butter and shortening and pulse until butter and shortening are cut into the flour. Don't overdo the mixing. Pulsing the machine on and off, gradually add about 6 TBS of water. Add water a little at a time pulsing in between. Add water until dough is evenly moistened and forms soft curds. Big pieces of butter are fine. Flatten the dough into a disk shape and wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out. Bake at 400* about 35 minutes or until golden brown.

My Advice: The colder all your ingredients are the better!

Quiche – Rosemary Lind

Pie Crust for 9” pie pan (I partially baked the pie crust before filling so it would be crisp and not soggy)
12 slices (½ lb.) bacon
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
4 eggs
2 cups light or whipping cream
¾ teas salt
¼ teas sugar

Preheat oven to 425º. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pastry lined pie pan. Blend remaining ingredients and pour on top of cheese mixture. Bake 15 minutes at 425º. Reduce heat to 300º. Bake for 30 more minutes. Check with knife, if it comes out clean it is done. Let stand 10 minutes.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

I used this recipe from allrecipes.com
You can use any vegetables you like. I recommend boiling your potatoes a little before hand to make sure they get done. Also you can add a few more spices if you like. I used one egg yolk to brush over the top pie crust.

6 comments:

Dolphinsbarn said...

Why have I never had this Rosemary Lind Quiche? All the good stuff came when I moved out.

Emily said...

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I LOVE pie crust. One of my weaknesses, so I am a huge fan of both of your choices. Nothing like good comfort food at the end (or any time)of the day.

Polliwog said...

I had the same thought--never heard of the Rosemary quiche. Maybe we'll have to rename it for someone who actually bakes it.

Woods said...

Wow! That looks amazing. I might have to get that book. I love Aunt Rosie's quiche. You are way too talented.

Elder Logan Cottle said...

It is 10:25 PM, and I am sure my mouth is watering for some of that THIS INSTANCE. YOu are quite the cook. Don't give all the credit to the cookbook. You Martha you!!! How are you friend??? I miss you. It's good to see you are still keeping yourself busy as always!

Anne Bowen said...

How cruel to post such delicious information on your blog. Those of us on diets...are suffering. The pie crust looks perfect!

The Rosemary Lind quiche is a recipe from the 1970's......a true classic! It's not something you would whip out for a family of 8 children! That is a pre-large family recipe!