
Since it is November 6th, I thought it was about time to blog about Halloween. We have been extremely busy around our house because of a fundraiser bake sale, and an upcoming primary program. More on those later. Halloween is always a fun time here, I love it, and the kids love it more. The festivities lasted extra long this year because of our ward's trunk-or-treat which was on the Saturday before Halloween. Carter and I dressed up this year--we just couldn't resist. Our costumes were especially poignant, because of where we live. If you have ever been to the Wal-Mart or Costco in St, George, you know exactly what I am talking about. We live in the land of the polygamists. Carter tried to find a sister wife, but we couldn't talk Courtney into dressing up. Too bad you can't see my Levi's under my dress and my sneakers. We had the most talked about costumes of the evening.
Lately, our kids have been on a huge Star Wars kick, which is new to me, as I have never really been in to it myself. All of the kids wanted to be a Star Wars character, even Courtney. Courtney was Leia, Jackson was Obi Wan, Bowen was Darth Vader, and Coop was Yoda. They had a blast acting out the movies in their costumes. For family night, we dipped caramel apples for the kids teachers, and pretzels for the bake sale.
On Halloween day, Yoda and I went to the elementary school to see Obi Wan and Vador in a Halloween parade. Obi Wan took Yoda along and lots of people made a fuss over them. Jackson said people kept saying how cute Cooper looked, but Cooper look at me and said "Mom doze yadies fink I am Shrek! (Those ladies think I am Shrek). Earlier in the morning I shut all the blinds, to make the house dark, and I "spooked" out the kitchen. There were spider webs, spiders, glowing lights, and terrifying music. The kids were excited to come home and see the transformation. I was dressed as a witch (not a stretch, I know) with orange and black striped tights, green hair and spider rings.
We had an all orange dinner and started making doughnuts for later that night. Carter loaded the trailer on the four-wheeler, put hay on it and picked up most of the neighborhood kids. Off they went trick-or-treating.
I stayed home to man the door and fry doughnuts for all the neighbors. It was so much fun. Our house was filled with all our friends and neighbors enjoying doughnuts and each others company.
It was balmy weather, no coats, not even jackets! I love holidays, and I know why..I love being around all the people I love, doing something fun, breaking from the norm, relaxing, having fun....oh, and all the good food. Hope your holiday was full of fun too, bring on the turkey!
5 comments:
You are such a fun mom! Your costumes are awesome!!!! I never do anything like that with my kids, we trunk-or-treat and were done. Maybe it's the stage were in, with these little ones. P.S. were do you get all your energy, I really need some.
WOW! I wish I lived in your ward. I don't think any of our neighbors like us enough to do something like that for us. You are so much fun. You guys are always doing stuff for everyone. You and your kids looked so cute on Halloween. I love all of the costumes!! MISS YOU
Wow is all I can say too! You are such a fun mom and probably the best neighbor a person could have. You and Carter look hilarious and how cute is Cooper with his Shrek comment. I was wondering where you get all your energy! I like the orange dinner idea. Matt and Cortnie have a fun thing too. They have spooky dinner. You have to pick things off some sort of a coded menu, not knowing what things really are. If you don't choose the thing that is a plate you may end up eating your food straight off the table! Spooky! We had Cafe Rio. It was all I could do to pick something up!
Yep, you are the neighbor everyone wants. The kids look so cute! The family I babysit for were all dressed in Star Wars attire too. Including the parents. It's funny that that movie seems to live on.
Cute and creative as usual. You never cease to amaze me Lori!
Post a Comment