Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Year of the Quilt

This year instead of the usual gifts that my kids exchange, they decided (on their own) to draw names. They wanted to make each other blankets. "You have to make a blanket that you know the other person would LOVE." These were the rules. At this point my heart started pounding. Guess who does the very minimal sewing around here. Five blankets? Before Christmas? Do you hate me? I reluctantly agreed. I'm glad I did. It turned out to be one of the best ideas ever. The kids immediately started brainstorming about what their sibling would like.

I was determined to teach them each a little bit about sewing during the process. I took each one on a trip the the fabric store where the could pick out the perfect material.

Cooper was very discerning during his shopping trip to a local quilt store. "I need to get Courtney either yellow and gray or turquoise and red fabric mom. Those are her favorite colors. THIS is it! She will love it." We took the material to the front to be cut. The lady asked me how much I wanted. Cooper piped right up and said, "I am sewing a blanket for my big sister, how much yards do I need?" Needles to say, the lady had a good laugh.

COURTNEY'S QUILT



Cooper pinned all of the ric-rac on the quilt and "assisted" me as I sewed it together. He wrapped it by himself. He was so proud.











GWEN'S QUILT


Bowen used a material for Gwen I already had, He picked a darling ric-rac trim to match and insisted on a very soft backing. He pinned every stitch of ric-rac on the edges. Using just over 1,000 pins. He patiently sat and helped me sew the rest.





COOPER'S QUILT


Surprisingly Jackson was the very first one done. He decided quickly on a BYU quilt for Cooper. He had just finished a semester of sewing, so obviously he was a pro. He picked a white fleece and cut out a giant Y. He pinned it on navy fleece and sewed around it. He then turned under the edges and carefully (slooowly) sewed each one.




BOWEN'S QUILT



Courtney wanted to do a Lego quilt for Bowen. We searched for weeks on the interned for Lego material, Lego sheets, Lego blanket. Nothing. She settled for Utah Jazz fleece. Bowen loves the Jazz. She sewed every bit herself.






JACKSON'S QUILT


Gwen decided her sewing skills were lacking, and to my delight ordered a Celtics Snuggie online. I swore this family would never own a Snuggie (a robe worn backwards), but Jackson was tickled with it.









The kids were beyond excited to see what each person would think of the blanket they sewed. They kept begging us to let them open them early. Finally, on Christmas Eve we gave in and let them open them. It was so wonderful. The kids were so excited and grateful, because they knew how much work went into each blanket. It was one of those gifts they will never forget.


2 comments:

EMILY said...

I love this idea. Your kids are amazing and so sweet. Can't wait to see them. As for the Snuggie, I swore I would never own one either until I got one as a White Elephant last year. Let me just say, it is nothing short of amazing while reading a book. I can keep warm and turn the pages. Genius. Simply genius. I'll bring mine when I visit and Jackson and I can watch TV together in our Snuggies. You tell him.

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

Seriously made me teary eyed. Your kids are so sweet. And I know that has to have come from a good upbringing. I love all your traditions, and the way you create fun lasting memories with your children. Maybe our family will be cool like yours someday! :)